This site has been CONFIRMED for 2018.
- Serving Time: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Arrive at the Site: 8:45-9:00 a.m.
- Lunch for Volunteers:
- Time: Noon to 1:00 p.m.
- Location: Provided on site.
Why are we serving here?
One of the ways ForColumbia strives to love and serve our neighbors is by looking for ways that put us directly and personally in touch with those who are more marginalized in Columbia – the chronically poor, the elderly, single-parent households, those with disabilities. This year, one of our partnering churches – Alive in Christ – is organizing this family-friendly plant project, where parents with young children (3-7 years) can help their kids decorate a flower pot, plant a flower, and then deliver their plant personally to those living at Paquin Tower or Oak Towers, two high-rise housing locations for low-income seniors and those with disabilities. We believe your time will be well spent serving alongside your children in this very personal way.
What can I expect?
ForColumbia volunteers may be working inside OR outside at this project, depending on weather and the number of people involved:
- each child participating with a parent will get the opportunity to decorate a small flower pot, then plant a flower into their pot;
- families will then deliver their flowers to residents of Paquin Tower and Oak Tower, both public housing high-rises for low-income individuals;
- families will be encouraged to visit with these residents for a brief time, and to offer to pray with and for them, when appropriate.
What should I bring?
ForColumbia will provide all planting supplies.
- Be sure to wear your #ForColumbia2018 T-shirt!
Can I serve here with my children?
Yes, this is a project designed for young children (3-7 years) and their parents!