Compass House #1 (Forest Ave.) will have a DELAYED START tomorrow. Morning volunteers, please plan to arrive at 10 a.m.
Compass House #2 (Hirth Ave.) will begin at 9 a.m. as originally scheduled.
- Serving Time: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Arrive at the Site:
- Morning Volunteers: 8:45-9:00 a.m.
- Afternoon Volunteers: 12:45-1:00 p.m.
- Arrive at the Site:
- Lunch for Volunteers:
- Time: Noon to 1:00 p.m.
- Location: Tabernacle of Grace Ministry, 106 Business Loop 70 W, Suite 106
- Work Site Address: This information will be provided to assigned volunteers.
Why am I serving here?
One of the ways ForColumbia strives to love and serve our neighbors is by serving those non-profit organizations that are actively working every day in the lives of people in Columbia. Using two homes in our city, Compass Evangelical Free Church and Love INC are partnering with each other to have a life-changing impact in the lives of those most at risk for homelessness. These homes, owned and maintained by Compass, are used to provide rent- and utility-free housing for families who have nowhere else to live, and who are engaged in Love INC’s programs, working to get back on their feet.
What can I expect?
Volunteers will work indoors and/or outside at the two transitional homes doing a variety of things. You may be asked to:
- rake leaves, pull weeds, trim bushes and clear brush along a fence line;
- plant flowers or bushes and spread mulch;
- help rebuild a small porch;
- help repair part of a roof;
- build a retaining wall;
- stain a small deck.
What should I bring?
Once you are assigned to a specific site, you will get more information as to what kind(s) of work to expect. ForColumbia will provide plants, mulch, basic outdoor yard work tools and any construction materials needed.
- We recommend you bring any yard tools you have, trimmers for bushes, or basic construction tools.
- Volunteers should bring work/garden gloves.
- If sunny, we encourage you to bring sunscreen and/or a hat.
- We encourage all volunteers to wear close-toed shoes.
- Be sure to wear your #ForColumbia2019 T-shirt!
Can I serve here with my children?
All work at these homes will be done outside. One site should be fine for elementary-aged children to participate. At one location where construction and roof repair is going on, it may not be good for younger children. If in doubt, please contact [email protected] about your specific project once you have been assigned.