- Serving Time: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Arrive at the Site:
- Morning Volunteers: 8:45-9:00 a.m.
- Afternoon Volunteers: 11:45 a.m.-Noon
- Arrive at the Site:
- Lunch for Volunteers: TBD
Why are we serving here?
One of the ways ForColumbia strives to love and serve our neighbors is by serving those non-profit organizations who are actively working every day in the lives of people in Columbia. One of the organizations in our city with the greatest reach is The Food Bank for Central and Northeast Missouri. This organization provides a hunger relief network that distributes millions of pounds of food annually, serving approximately 104,000 individuals monthly through 132 pantries, soup kitchens, shelters and other partner agencies. This amazing reach takes a lot of volunteers consistently providing help to prepare donated food for distribution. This is why we think your day will be well spent serving at The Food Bank.
What can I expect?
On Friday night, we’re hosting an evening “Kids Helping Kids,” an opportunity for children 4-12 years old to serve alongside their older siblings and/or parents. Volunteers will package a variety of mass-packaged food donations. Following this serving time, we will host a family-oriented post-serving party!
On Saturday, ForColumbia volunteers will once again be working inside to individually package a variety of mass-packaged food donations. This work is done standing at prep tables, so volunteers must be able to remain on their feet for at least two hours. More details on the specifics of the work to be done will be provided on the day of serving.
What should I bring?
Volunteers should wear appropriate attire for handling food, as specified by The Food Bank:
- closed-toed shoes – no exceptions;
- long hair must be pulled back – hairnets will be provided and must be worn;
- facial hair must be covered with Food Bank-provided beard nets;
- jeans, pants or long/athletic length shorts – short shorts, leggings, tights or yoga pants are not allowed;
- short/long sleeve shirts – shoulders must be covered;
- necklaces, lanyards, scarves are not allowed;
- large jewelry must be under clothing or Food Bank-provided protective gear;
- offensive printing on clothing – as determined by Food Bank staff – is not allowed.
- Be sure to wear your #ForColumbia2020 T-shirt!
Can I serve here with my children?
Yes, children who are at least six (6) years old and at least 42 inches tall are welcome to serve at The Food Bank alongside an adult.