- Serving Time: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Arrive at the Site:
- Morning Volunteers: 8:45-9:00 a.m.
- Afternoon Volunteers: 11:45 a.m.-Noon
- Arrive at the Site:
- Lunch for Volunteers:
- Time: Noon-1:00 p.m.
- Location: On site at Great Circle.
Why are we serving here?
One of the ways ForColumbia strives to love and serve our neighbors is by serving those non-profit organizations who are actively working every day in the lives of people in Columbia. Great Circle provides a wide range of behavioral health services for children and families, here in mid-Missouri and across the state. From prevention and early intervention to foster and crisis care which includes special education and autism services, intensive treatment and family stabilization, Great Circle seeks to restore hope to those in difficult circumstances. Through its residential treatment program in Columbia, this organization cares for over 50 children working to overcome past trauma and serious mental health challenges. Serving at the residential site where these children live while in foster care sends the message that these kids matter, that they are valuable, and supports what this organization is also trying to do in the kids’ lives. This is why we believe your day will be well-spent serving at Great Circle.
What can I expect?
ForColumbia volunteers will be working outside at Great Circle on a variety of projects, including:
- cleaning out garden beds, planting new bushes and flowers, and spreading mulch;
- weeding and mulching all beds around the property;
- revamping a baseball field, and potentially building bleachers;
- building a “Hammock Village” for space to hang a number of hammocks in an open space on their property;
- rebuilding a chicken coop and fencing the space around it;
- other outdoor projects as identified.
What should I bring?
- We encourage all volunteers to wear close-toed shoes.
- If you have small garden hand tools, feel free to bring them, as well as work gloves.
- Be prepared for a sunny day by bringing sunscreen and/or a hat.
- Be sure to wear your #ForColumbia2020 T-shirt!
Can I serve here with my children?
No, we ask that children younger than middle school not be brought to this work site.