Updated April 29, 2020: Though COVID-19 and our community’s stay-at-home order has slowed our efforts down, we plan to complete the work at a few of the non-profit locations, like In2Action. We made this decision primarily because without volunteer help, this organization will not be able to complete the needed work in other ways. This work will begin to be scheduled once the City of Columbia, Boone County and/or the state of Missouri indicate it is safe to do so.
We are anticipating this work will begin in June 2020.
- Serving Time: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Arrive at the Site:
- Morning Volunteers: 8:45-9:00 a.m.
- Afternoon Volunteers: 11:45 a.m.-Noon
- Arrive at the Site:
- Lunch for Volunteers:
- Time: Noon to 1:00 p.m.
- Location: On site.
Why are we serving here?
One of the ways ForColumbia strives to love and serve our neighbors is by serving those non-profit organizations who are actively working every day in the lives of people in Columbia. In2Action is a faith-based non-profit focused on helping men who are released from prison, stay out of prison, by providing supports and resources including safe and drug-free housing, provision of basic needs, life skills training, one-on-one and group counseling, case management, and transitional employment opportunities. This year, In2Action acquired additional properties and plans to expand their programs as well as the number of individuals they serve. This is why we believe your day will be well-spent serving at In2Action.
What can I expect?
ForColumbia volunteers will be working outside at this site, doing a variety of projects, including:
- Clearing out a large barn of junk and cleaning it for storage use, as well as repairing the barn doors;
- Clearing the land around the barn, fencerow and pond of brush and yard debris;
- Power-washing and staining an adjacent privacy fence;
- Removing another fence;
- Other projects as identified.
What should I bring?
- We encourage all volunteers to wear close-toed shoes.
- If you have tree trimmers or larger pruning tools, feel free to bring them, as well as work gloves.
- Be prepared for a sunny day by bringing sunscreen and/or a hat.
- Be sure to wear your #ForColumbia2020 T-shirt!
Can I serve here with my children?
Parents can bring older elementary children with them who can assist with outside yard work. Due to the proximity of the pond, this is not an appropriate serving site for young children.