- Serving Time: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Morning Volunteers: Arrive 8:45-9:00 a.m.
- Afternoon Volunteers: Arrive 12:45-1:00 p.m.
- Lunch Site for Volunteers:
- Time: Noon-1:00 p.m.
- Location: Community Pop-Up Park, 807 Business Loop East
(Next to Dave Griggs Flooring America)
Why are we serving here?
ForColumbia’s mission – to bring Christians together to love and serve our neighbors – puts us in touch with those in Columbia who may feel more marginalized; elderly individuals, single parents, those with disabilities or those struggling with financial instability. This year, we are excited to serve our younger neighbors all over Columbia by building several Little Free Libraries, outdoor book repositories that will be installed throughout neighborhoods in our community and stocked with free children’s books.
We are still identifying locations for these Little Free Libraries, and ideally would like to install them in lower-income neighborhoods and other areas where foot traffic will put books into the hands of children. Know of a great location for one of our creations? Contact us!
Site Rating for COVID-19 Awareness and Sensitivity
Outside, possible to maintain social distancing at all times.
|What does this mean?
Please see COVID-19 Awareness and Sensitivity Levels for more information.
What can I expect?
Volunteers will be working outside at Bob McCosh GMC car dealership, on an area of their property that allows for our project to be moved inside if weather is inclement. Volunteers will be helping to construct approximately 12 Little Free Libraries (the wood will be precut for ease of building) and then painting them. These Little Free Libraries will then be installed in locations where individuals, churches or other organizations have committed to “adopting” them – and making sure our city’s children have access to free books whenever they’d like.
What should I bring?
- Come prepared to work outside; if sunny, we encourage you to consider bringing sunscreen and/or a hat.
- Your site leader will provide a list of household tools that would be helpful to bring with you.
- We encourage all volunteers to wear close-toed shoes.
- Be sure to wear your #ForColumbia2021 T-shirt!
Can I serve here with my children?
Yes, this is a good serving site for older elementary children. Please note there will be power tools being used at this site.