This site has been CONFIRMED for 2018.
- Serving Time: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Arrive at the Site: 8:45-9:00 a.m.
- Lunch for Volunteers:
- Time: Noon-1:00 p.m.
- Location: Lunch provided on site.
Why are we serving here?
One of the ways ForColumbia strives to love and serve our neighbors is by partnering with our city in ways that put us in touch with those who are more marginalized in Columbia – the chronically poor, the elderly, single-parent households, those with disabilities. This year we are once again serving significantly in housing managed by the Columbia Housing Authority, including Oak Tower, a high-rise housing option for low-income seniors.
What can I expect?
Volunteers will be working primarily indoors at Oak Tower on several projects, though a few volunteers will work outside:
- providing assistance with a few residents’ garden plots – weeding, turning soil, and preparing them for spring planting;
- cleaning the general areas in this eight-story building thoroughly, including stairwells, windows and common areas;
- offering cleaning and organizing assistance to individual residents in their apartments, including potentially helping these residents begin packing to move;
- visiting with residents as all this work is done.
What should I bring?
ForColumbia will provide all cleaning supplies and basic garden tools. Volunteers should come prepared to work primarily indoors.
- If sunny, we encourage you to consider bringing sunscreen and/or a hat.
- We encourage all volunteers to wear close-toed shoes.
- Be sure to wear your #ForColumbia2018 T-shirt!
Can I serve here with my children?
Yes, we encourage families to bring children. Elementary-aged kids can help serve at this location.