This site was COMPLETED.
Thanks to all of our volunteers!
The ForColumbia team is privileged to continue growing its relationship with the Columbia Housing Authority by returning to serve at locations like Paquin Tower. This year, we continued to build connections with residents in this downtown high-rise by offering to provide and hang curtains, as well as many other helps. A huge thanks to Alive In Christ team members for providing leadership to the over 80 volunteers from six partnering churches who served together this year!
Why did we serve here?
One of the ways ForColumbia strives to love and serve our neighbors is by partnering with our city in ways that put us in touch with those who are more marginalized in Columbia – the chronically poor, the elderly, single-parent households, those with disabilities. This year we returned to several housing areas managed by the Columbia Housing Authority, including Paquin Tower, a downtown high-rise for low-income seniors and those with disabilities.
What got done?
ForColumbia volunteers spent significant time with residents at Paquin Tower. On Friday evening, volunteers organized a Bingo night and spent time visiting with the residents we would serve the next day. Returning on Saturday, volunteers completed projects both indoors and outside, while also visiting with the individuals who live at Paquin. Projects included:
- cleaning up the nearby park area;
- painting the residents’ raised-bed garden boxes and tilling the garden beds to prepare them for new planting;
- cleaning the common areas in the 15-story building;
- cleaning and organizing for individual residents in their apartments;
- assisting with administrative organization in the manager’s office;
- hanging curtains for many residents who previously had no window treatments.