- Serving Time: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Morning Volunteers: Arrive 9:30 a.m.
- Afternoon Volunteers: Arrive 12:45-1:00 p.m.
- We are asking all-day and afternoon volunteers to serve later than 4:00 p.m. and help finish out the day for this event
- Lunch for Volunteers:
- Time: Noon-1:00 p.m.
- Location: Special Olympics will be providing lunch on site
Why are we serving here?
One of the ways ForColumbia strives to love and serve our neighbors is by serving those non-profit organizations that are actively working every day in the lives of people in Columbia. Special Olympics Missouri is an organization that provides opportunities to compete athletically to those with disabilities – opportunities that foster courage, joy and friendships, as well as healthier ways of living. This year, Special Olympics Missouri is hosting its State Summer Games here in Columbia, at Hickman High School. We are sending volunteers to help run the outdoor track and field games, as well as assist in the “Sports Zone,” an area available for athletes to relax and participate in a variety of activities in between their competitions.
Site Rating for COVID-19 Awareness and Sensitivity
Outside, possible to maintain social distancing most of the time or inside, with social distancing at all times.
|What does this mean?
Please see COVID-19 Awareness and Sensitivity Levels for more information.
What can I expect?
- ForColumbia volunteers will work outdoors at this site, assisting with running Track and Field games. Detailed instructions will be given the day of the event by Special Olympics Missouri.
- Volunteers will also be in Sport Zone. They will lead Health and Wellness-related activities for athletes throughout the day. Again, all needed instructions will be provided by Special Olympics Missouri.
- There will also be an opportunity to attend a brief training offered by Special Olympics for all volunteers of this event, the week prior to our day of serving.
What should I bring?
- Volunteers serving at this event do not need to bring anything, but we encourage you to be prepared with sunscreen and/or a hat if it’s a sunny day.
- Also, be sure to wear your #ForColumbia2021 T-shirt!
Can I serve here with my children?
- Yes, this is a great place to serve alongside your elementary-aged children!