This site has been CONFIRMED for 2018.
- Serving Time: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Arrive at the Site: 8:45-9:00 a.m.
- Lunch for Volunteers:
Why am I serving here?
One of the ways ForColumbia strives to love and serve our neighbors is by serving those non-profit organizations that are actively working every day in the lives of people in Columbia. United Community Builders is one of those organizations working powerfully every day for the good of those in our community. UCB works to transform lives by strengthening families and parents, mentoring elementary and middle school boys, and providing job readiness training, as well as other programs and events designed to develop character and strengthen faith. This is why we think your day will be well spent serving United Community Builders.
What can I expect?
ForColumbia volunteers will be working outside at United Community Builders location on Providence Road:
- removing large amounts of brush and other debris from behind the building;
- cleaning up the length of the alleyway running behind the building, which is adjacent to homeowner private property.
- Note: This will be a broader community clean-up work site, beneficial to both UCB and its neighbors.
What should I bring?
ForColumbia will provide trash bags and will have a wood chipper onsite for the brush.
- Volunteers are encouraged to bring work gloves, trimmers, rakes and other larger garden tools appropriate for removing brush.
- Come prepared to work outside; if sunny, we encourage you to consider bringing sunscreen and/or a hat.
- We encourage all volunteers to wear close-toed shoes.
- Be sure to wear your #ForColumbia2018 T-shirt!
Can I serve here with my children?
Yes, middle-school children and older can assist in this project. However, with a wood chipper and chainsaws on site, it is not recommended that younger children serve here.