This site has been CONFIRMED for 2018.
- Serving Time: Noon-4:00 p.m.
- Address: This information will be provided by Woodhaven site leaders the day of serving.
- Arrive at the Lunch Site: 11:45 a.m. – Noon.
- Lunch for Volunteers:
Why are we serving here?
One of the ways ForColumbia strives to love and serve our neighbors is by serving those non-profit organizations that are actively working every day in the lives of people in Columbia. Woodhaven is an organization that advocates for those with disabilities so as to enhance their lives, provide quality opportunities for choice and a safe community in which individuals with disabilities can connect. Many of those served by Woodhaven live in private homes with a caregiver, allowing them to live with more independence. As a caregiver focusing on the practical and emotional needs of disabled adults, it can be difficult to also maintain the property of the home they share. This year we are sending volunteers to these individual homes to help indoors and outside, to provide the kind of labor that these folks often cannot do for themselves. This is why we believe your day will be well spent serving Woodhaven.
What can I expect?
ForColumbia volunteers will meet at The Crossing Student Center – 3615 Southland Drive, Room 319 – for lunch, where Woodhaven staff will provide brief instructions relative to your day. Following lunch, teams of volunteers will be sent to 22 different homes throughout Columbia – locations and directions will be provided at this time – and will be working both inside and outdoors at the homes of disabled individuals:
- cleaning and organizing inside some of the homes, with specific projects identified, and;
- weeding and spreading mulch, and in some cases planting flowers, outside the homes.
What should I bring?
- ForColumbia and Woodhaven will work together to provide most supplies for indoor and outdoor work, but volunteers are encouraged to bring bush trimmers if possible.
- In the event you are asked to work outside, volunteers are also encouraged to bring garden/work gloves.
- If sunny, bring sunscreen and/or a hat.
- We encourage all volunteers to wear close-toed shoes.
- Be sure to wear your #ForColumbia2018 T-shirt!
Can I serve here with my children?
Yes, this is a great opportunity for elementary-aged children to serve alongside their parents.